15 June Meeting at Borders Books (not Barnes & Noble!) lounge - another highly productive meeting of about 20 proactive parents.
1. Insurance/Liability - The previously proposed agenda was amended to put Insurance at the top of the list, as the representatives at Old Mystic Baptist Church are requesting additional Liability coverage for instructors - particularly compensated instructors.
Our current potential policy via Classical Kids is similar to PTO insurance, and would cost about $350/year. It offers property and basic injury coverage. Anything beyond, including complaints vs. teachers, is uncovered. As our own minimum preventative measures/CYA, the previous meeting had decided that there will be 2 parents present in each classroom and that there is no drop-off option, parents will remain onsite. This policy is reflected in language in our Family Commitment.
Options for consideration of additional coverage include:
- No waiver - it won’t hold up in court
- Voluntary, self-paid background check by all parents/instructors via an independent website.
- Volunteer protection statute language (new)
- The big “I”: Incorporation - similar to LLC abt $500 + filing fees may cover more than the PTO type
Further investigation & research is ongoing, (including HLDS & recommended Homeschool Solutions website) and any legal advice/know-how from interested families is welcome!
2. Mission Statement - considered, revised & approved at meeting from draft provided by Heather:
Classical Community Cooperative is a collaboration of homeschooling and non-schooling families in southeastern Connecticut committed to sharing their gifts and talents for the enrichment of the children. The group welcomes families of diverse beliefs and philosophies, and expects members to value and respect these differences. Our diversity, talents, and passion allow us to offer a wide-range of educational, creative, social and recreational programs for our families that are delivered in a friendly, welcoming and tolerant environment.
3. Family promise/commitment - considered, revised & approved at meeting from basic draft provided by Jennifer (& Judy!). To be posted on Progress page of Classical Community Coop site.
4. FRC update:
Just to clarify: Registration & membership for FRC is entirely separate - CCC is acting as facility host. CCC members will be given registration priority, then Engineering & Robotics classes will be opened to FRC + others.
Important to OMBC: FRC instructor is confirmed insured, facility useage approval by OMBC still pending.
Current class dates: Fridays: 9/11, 10/2, 11/13, 12/4, 1/22, 2/19, 3/12, 4/9, 5/7, 6/4
Engineering: Ages 8-12 from 12:00pm to 2:30pm
Robotics: 11 and up at 9:30am to 11:30am
Fee is $250/Engineering, $350/Underwater Robotics with FRC membership ($500 without!) Monthly billing is optional with $5 monthly surcharge. FRC membership is $60 until July 31. See http://www.frc.info/ for more.
5. Volunteerism & Social - some updated roles, thank you to all who have offered up their time!
- Program Facilitator - Heather
- Registrar - Michelle
- Communications/Web PR - Jennifer P.
- Secretary/Treasurer/- Tracy H.
- Peacemaker - Aimée A.
- Age Group Contact People for for being a go-to, assisting in soliciting teachers, coordinating parent-instructor communication, etc Age groups are loosely defined by approximate class range - not hard & fast.
- Preschool Coordinator- Kelli R. (Thank you!)
- Elementary - Channing G.
- Middle - Deb A. (Thank you!)
- High - Kat O’Reilly
- Volunteer Coordinator (& meeting facilitator) - how families are making their commitments, Penny S.
- Facilities Coordinator - for room set up, physical req'ments - Michelle, Tig to coop to share day
- Community Service Coordinator - service outreach events - Anne Bora
- Field Trip Coordinator - Bonnie?
- Special events/Field trip coordinator - Available?
- Instructors - two parents for every classroom, please.
*These positions may flex and evolve as the co-op does...!*
6: The OMBC Bldg has large sanctuary that we should be able to use as lounge, kitchen, preschool rm, nursery room(sm), 2 oblong classrooms (lower elem?), 2 rooms for upper elm/midl school, teen access/lounge w 2 small rooms off of that. teen area may be used for FRC, parking lot
Next Meet: Tue, June 30th 6:30 - Bonnie will investigate Conn Coll Chapel option?
Agenda: More Insurance/Liability, Registration & Class Schedule Design & How-to
Heather will keep investigating liability, insurance & cost, discuss registration issues, Jennifer will investigate how to structure website for future schedule/registration options